07/20/2021 Plugin updates New In depth
Let's go back to 2015 ...
The term Progressive Web Application was coined by two people from the Google Chrome team, Alex Russell and Frances Berriman, overseeing a new class of websites that provided a better user experience than traditional web applications. All these applications had one thing in common: they became standalone applications that could be placed on the homepage of a mobile phone in one click, and not just a separate tab in the browser. This technology promised a simple implementation and many advantages for user interaction.
Coincidentally, during the development of this technology, the market use for mobile phones has grown significantly. Since spring of 2018, applications of this class are accepted by all major browsers.
So what exactly is a PWA?
In the words of our Magento 2 product owner, Stanislau: “A PWA (Progressive Web Application) - is the kind of magic that turns your website into a fully responsive app. This app can be saved to your phone's home screen, access the gadget's hardware, and send push notifications. PWA applications are saved directly from the browser, which means the user does not need to download them from the Google Store or App Store and can work even without a stable Internet connection or offline.”
To make it even simpler; a PWA is an application that’s built like a website, yet created with the functions of a mobile application - focusing mainly on having the feel and functionalities an app would.
Technology stack Progressive Web Application:
- Service Worker
- Web App manifest
- App shell
- Push notifications
PWA in Magento 2 ecommerce
With the growing use of mobile shopping, the popularity of PWAs for Magento 2 stores has risen alongside it.
The official Adobe Magento team itself has created and continues to work on the development of PWA Studio - a set of tools that help transform a Magento 2 store into a full-fledged PWA application, this has become the impetus for the growth of PWA stores based on Magento 2.
There are also possibilities to turn your Magento 2 store into a PWA application, for example using a PWA theme from our ScandiPWA theme partners or using various other PWA plugins from different vendors.
Pros and cons for ecommerce stores:
- The simplicity when compared to dedicated apps.
- The PWA application works for all modern iOS and Android devices at the same time, there is no need to face the restrictions of the Google Store or App Store.
- Increase conversion rates.
- Better user experience results in higher conversion rates.
- Improve your SEO.
- Progressive Web Apps are better indexed by Google bots and improve SEO performance. In Google, the site will take significantly higher positions if PWA technology is connected.
- Responsive design and customer engagement.
- More convenient and fast interaction of customers with the PWA application.
- Offline mode.
- The ability to work offline allows customers to search for their favorite products even when they are in places where there may be problems with the Internet connection, such as public transport (subway).
- PWA applications use secure HTTPS connections. PWA are made with open web technologies.
- Incredibly fast.
- PWA applications have a high speed of work both online and offline.
- Cross-browser compatibility.
- All modern browsers from 2018 onwards support PWA technologies.
- In one click, the application can be added to the home screen of the smartphone.
The main drawback is that PWA technology is still fairly new and in development, which means there can be unforeseen issues. However, the flipside of this is that there is so much room to grow and develop.
Payment Service Provider for PWA applications on Magento 2
For a webshop the checkout will always be one of the most important aspects of its online presence. Being able to pay in a seamless manner can make the difference between a failed and a successful website visit.
At MultiSafepay we’re constantly keeping our finger on the pulse when it comes to the developments in ecommerce. Therefore, we’ve been involved with the development of the PWA technology for the mobile application market from the onset, and have implemented full integrations with the most popular platforms to turn a Magento 2 store into a PWA application. Via MultiSafepay, you’ll be able to utilize the PWA technology through PWA Studio, ScandiPWA or Vue Storefront. For more information on these PWA integrations, you can read our dedicated blog article on PWA in general, or the dedicated Vue Storefront release.
Also, we recently implemented a separate module for compatibility with GraphQL for integration with Magento 2 so that you can easily integrate with any PWA solution based on Magento 2.
In conclusion, we can say that PWA technology is still quite young in the mobile application market, but with the constant growth in the use of mobile devices, purchases through mobile devices on the internet and with its preponderance of pros and cons, we’re of the opinion that it will only continue to grow in the coming years - and it might even replace native applications in ecommerce one day.
Through MultiSafepay, you’ll be able to use these cutting edge PWA integrations and have access to an established, well-rounded payment mix. Giving you the tools to achieve your ecommerce goals all throughout Europe. All backed up by an experienced in-house team of developers.
Learn what we can do to make your business excel